Saturday, September 30, 2006

Fall Colour Tour with Fijko

This is one time of the year that Annette and I truly enjoying taking a trip into the north country to absorb the wonderful colours of fall, where the trees stretch as far as the eye can see. Unfortunately, this year Annette came down with a sudden attack of kidney stones so she was not able to make the trek northward. However, Annette's aunt Annie and cousin Fyko from Holland were visiting her parents. Since they came out for the day to visit Annette, I took Fyko up north with me while Annette's family visited... Yup, I'm Mr. Nice Guy - leaving his wife in pain to entertain her family... But then, she doesn't want an annoying guy like me around anyway...

The last time Fijko had visited Canada was 27 years ago, so it was very nice that we got to spend some time with Annie and Fijko. I know that he enjoys our northern country, and was really keen on doing some sight-seeing while in Canada for his short vacation. Since we were not able to leave until 3pm, and had to be back sometime the same night, we only got as far north as Kinmount, where most of these pictures were taken. Also, since the day was overcast and the potential for rain loomed overhead, we did not attempt to venture further north. The leaves in this area were just starting to turn colour and the ideal fall display would be best viewed the following week. But there were some interesting photographic opportunities to capture here for Fyko and I to capture as well.

Okay, so starting off with this picture of the dam/waterfall and the old mill. This is where I focussed most of the pictures from. I have driven past this area for many years on my way to my friend's cottage, but had never taken the time to stop and really take a look at the area.

I like the way that the white water rushing off the dam contrasts the decaying old mill in the background, which offers a picturesque view that brings an old fashioned charm to the whole scene.




And this is just a closer shot of the water cascading off the dam. The tree at the edge provides a nice flavour of autumn.













Below are two pictures taken from on top of the dam facing toward the village of Kinmount. The reflection of the town in the water caught my attention for a nice picture. The picture following that is a panoramic extension of the first picture, but to the right of it. The overcast sky with the calm, reflective water and the bridge in the background provide some of the elements that I like in this type of picture.
















As you may have gathered from my pictures, I enjoy the mirror images provided by calm waters. While there wasn't anything special about the bridge in the next photo - I mean it's not like it is an old wooden bridge or anything, there is a certain ambiance to the picture with the reflection and deep greens provided by the trees and grass.




This little guy was hanging off a little corner of a steel girder on the bridge.




This next picture was taken from atop the dam. Again, the calm water hosting the reflection the sky, accented by the leaves that are starting to change colours caught my eye.














That was about it for the village of Kinmount. From here, we headed to a nearby lookout. While the view into the hills did not provide the colours that I was looking for, there was enough at the lookout to catch my eye.
















From here we headed out to my friends cottage - Mike and Cathy. Fijko noticed the local shoe tree, so we stopped for a picture. No, this isn't one of those wooden trees that you put in your shoes to stretch them out...

According to legend, this phenomenom was initiated by old folks throwing shoes into a tree because they were leaving their souls, or soles, behind. And then some people believe that the tradition was started by students who wore out their shoes walking between classes - throwing them up in the trees to get rid of them... I don't know which is true, but I do know that I have about 30 pairs of shoes that are looking for a new home... ;-)



















We continued on for a brief visit with Mike and Cathy. They have a unique turn-of-the-century cottage that has 3 sides that sits on the water. It is also unique from the perspective that it is old wooden cottage sitting on a lake, with all the modern conveniences that one could imagine!














Mike and Fijko after a walk through the woods, having a chat about boating, and forestry, and cottages, and ...

3 Comments:

At 8:55 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pictures! I love the fall and these pictures really capture the feeling of a true Canadian Fall.

 
At 8:57 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, well, well, since you have to publish these comments anyways......I love you Daddy!!! You're the bestest!! Love you!!!!

 
At 1:20 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is o.k. to comment this post after your daughter. I'm glad I met her and could see what a beauty Annette and you made.
I liked the tour with you very much and seeing and reading about it makes it all come back to me.
Thank you for a special time in the wonderfull coloured world you live in! And I mean not only coloured in nature, but in people too!
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PS
You were not the only one who took nice pictures. You could have used one of mine too or were you just polite when you said my pictures were very good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home